Peer led navigation for accessible housing placements
The Right Fit program is grounded in a case management model where a team of navigators helps a rolling caseload of indoor wheelchair users find homes that fit their needs, along with personal supports needed to live independently. Navigators work directly with applicants as well as housing and service providers to help streamline the housing process. They help landlords find the right tenant for their units within short periods of time.
The peer led individualized navigation service available to wheelchair users consists of emotional support, life skill support, goal planning, advocacy, representation and close follow-up. Specifically, Right Fit navigators assists clients with the following:
- assessment of holistic needs for housing, income and disability supports;
- facilitation of housing applications, income and disability support applications; use of portable housing subsidies to prevent homelessness;
- representation assistance at meetings, interviews and assessments;
- assistance with securing, moving and installing equipment and devices;
- continuous check-ins and follow-up;
- liaison with housing providers, health authorities and the BC Ministry of Social Development and Poverty Reduction (MSDPR) for problem solving. Thanks to partnerships established with BC Housing, MSDPR and Fraser and Vancouver Coastal Health, the Right Fit is able to implement fast-track procedures for Right Fit clients.
Accessible housing stock monitoring
The Right Fit program works with housing providers to verify accessibility of the units. The Right Fit has implemented a standardized Accessibility Checklist for assessing the wheelchair accessibility of living units. This tool is easy to use and can be applied by the housing providers themselves, with the ongoing support of the Right Fit Accessibility Housing Coordinator.
Our program aims to support and educate housing providers on the various elements of accessible housing and also offers incentives through BC Housing to hold accessible units for limited periods of time.
Addressing the accessible, affordable housing crisis
The Right Fit collaborates with governmental and non-governmental organizations to remove systemic barriers to housing; to problem solve on individual situation, and to raise public awareness about the accessible, affordable housing crisis.